UNIOTO TRANSPORTATION NEWS
SCHOOL BUS DRIVERS CONDUCT EMERGENCY EVACUATION DRILLS
Keeping students safe on a school bus is a top priority for the Unioto Transportation Department. The state of Ohio requires three bus emergency evacuation drills annually: Each bus performs three emergency procedures:
· Everyone exists through the front entrance door.
· Everyone exists through the rear emergency door.
· Front half exits through the front door and rear half exits through the rear emergency door.
This is a timed procedure in which student exit the bus as quickly as possible. This drill is used if the bus is in an accident.
BUS DRIVERS ENHANCE THEIR SKILLS IN TRAINING INSERVICE
Unioto bus drivers attended in-service class conducted by Heidi Gray.
· Verbal Abuse
· Positive Behavior
It was training on how to talk down a student in a situation that could get out of control.
Level 1- Support
· Listen: Allow student to talk or vent.
· Accept: Consider the feeling of the student.
· Focus: Focus on that one issue.
· Encourage: As opposed to aggression
· Offer: Alternative choices.
· Contract: Student to agree to a course of action.
· Redirect: Redirect student to other choices.
Level 2-Limit Setting
· Clear: Speak clearly, without fear, in neutral tone.
· Consistent: Limits must be consistently set day to day.
· Enforceable: Positive and Negative consequences will be the result.
SCHOOL BUS TRAINING AND SKILLS
In August, we had In-Service training with Marvin Pennington Southern Ohio Regional Instructor.
Safety on Buses:
· Law changes.
· Ohio School Bus Inspection.
· Post Trip after each route. The school bus needs to be cleaned. Nothing should be left on the bus overnight.
· Mark your safety and emergency equipment (fire extinguisher, first aid kits, clean up kit, reflector box).
· Field trip drivers need to do a bus inspection before trip home.
· All route drivers need to be diligent when picking up and discharging students for strangers at the bus stop. Report to supervisor anyone taking pictures, or videotaping with cell phones or other devices.