AN IMPORTANT REMINDER ABOUT
SCHOOL BUS TRAFFIC LAWS
Ever wonder what you should do when approaching a school bus that is stopped on the roadway? The answer is not only simple it is also written into law (0CR 4511.75). Here is what the law says:
· If a bus is stopped on a street or road which has fewer than 4 lanes, all traffic proceeding in either direction must stop.
· If a bus is stopped on a street or road which has 4 or more lanes, only traffic proceeding in the same direction as the bus must stop.
· You must not proceed until the school bus resumes motion, or signaled by the school bus driver to proceed.
If you fail to stop for a school bus, your error will not go unnoticed. Bus drivers will report the license plate number of any vehicle that fails to comply with the law to the law enforcement agency. An investigation will be conducted to identify the driver for enforcement purposes. Penalties for not obeying these rules could cost up to $500 and a maximum 1 year suspension of your driver license, (ORC 45.11).
SCHOOL BUS SAFETY WEEK
2013-2014 School Bus Safety Week is always in October and this year’s motto was:
“STAY BACK FROM THE YELLOW AND BLACK”
This is the motto for the State Of Ohio: Magnets with STAY BACK FROM THE YELLOW AND BLACK were given to all Unioto drivers to put on their bus as a reminder of how very important safety is for our students.
· Don’t follow to close behind other vehicles.
· Pick up and drop off student the correct way.
· Watch your speed.
· Proper Pre-Trip inspection.
· Proper Brake Check inspection.
· Keeping Route Sheets updated.
· Keeping students safe.
SCHOOL BUS DRIVERS QUALIFICATION AND REQUIREMENTS
Ever wonder what qualifications your student’s bus driver has? I think this will surprise you!
· Written Application
· FMCSA Drug and Alcohol Reference Check
· BCI State background check
· FBI Federal background check
· Motor Vehicle Records check
· Drug and Alcohol Testing
· Permit test. A serious of three tests (taken at License bureau)
· Class room training 16 hours
· Recertification every 6 years
· OBI (ON BOARD INSTRUCTOR) road and skills training minimum 12 hours
· Driver’s Pre Trip and Driving Skills test done by a 3rd party
· Purchase new drivers CDL class B with SP (School Bus and Passenger) endorsement
· Random Drug and Alcohol Testing during school year
· Required In service training throughout the school year
I think everyone is surprised by the qualifications that our bus drivers are required to complete. Unioto schools and the State of Ohio is very concerned about the safety and well being of our students.
SCHOOL BUS DRIVERS TRAINING AND INSERVICE
Unioto host School Bus Drivers Pre-Service Training three times throughout the year. That is where new drivers and Veteran Drivers meet with Marvin Pennington Southern Ohio Regional Instructor. This is a four day class that is held in the Administration Building. New drivers and Veteran drivers participate in school bus education:
· Driving the bus.
· Pupil management.
· Responsibility and liability.
· Public relations.
· Defensive driving.
· Safety and emergency procedures.
· Transporting student with disabilities and special needs.