Local School District
Our mission is students will learn, lead, and make a difference.
1565 Egypt Pike
Chillicothe, Ohio 45601
UNIOTO - SPORTS NEWS
A reminder to all coaches (paid and volunteer) and school administrators that according to the Ohio Department of Education, the Pupil Activity/Coaching Permit is required for a pupil activity program that involves athletics, routine or regular physical activity or activities with health and safety considerations.
Specifically regarding coaches, on page two of the applications is the following section:
Additional Coaching Requirements:
1 - Coaches must hold a valid CPR card during his/her season.
2 - Coaches must complete the NFHS "Fundamentals of Coaching" class.
Please do not send copies of your class certificate or CPR card. Completion of those two requirements must be verified by the school district where you are coaching.
For more information and to locate the form, log on to www.ode.state.oh.us view: Teaching & Educator Licensure".
Guidelines for Student Athletic Eligibility Produced by the Ohio High School Athletic Association for School Guidance Counselors
OHSAA Bylaws for Students in Grades 7-12
Please familiarize yourself with the following OHSAA Bylaws:
• All beginning 7th graders are eligible insofar as the scholarship bylaw.
• All beginning 9th graders are eligible for the first grading period regardless of their previous academic achievement. However, they all must adhere to your district’s
grade point average requirement and any other standards that your school may have in place.
• Eligibility for each grading period is determined by grades received the preceding grading period. Semester and yearly grades have no effect on eligibility.
• Grades 9-12: To be eligible, a student-athlete must be currently enrolled in a member school and have received passing grades in a minimum of five one-credit
courses, or the equivalent, in the immediately preceding grading period (Note: Students taking post-secondary options must comply with these standards).
• Grades 7-8: To be eligible, a student-athlete must be currently enrolled in a member school and have received passing grades in 75 percent of subjects in which
enrolled the immediately preceding grading period.
• For eligibility, summer school grades may not be used to substitute for failing grades received in the final grading period of the regular school year or for lack of
enough courses taken the preceding grading period.
Note: If a student is taking all course work at the post-secondary institution, the minimum number of credits required (under either the quarter or semester systems) in order to maintain athletic eligibility is 13.
It is highly recommended that you obtain a copy of Ohio’s Post-Secondary Enrollment Options Program from the State Department of Education (614-466-2211). In addition, students electing to enroll in PEOP must be certain that 1.) The faculty members at the post-secondary institution understand that they will need to provide grades or a progress report at the time when the high school’s grading period is over, and 2.) The student-athlete is taking enough course work at the post-secondary institution exclusively or between the post-secondary institution and the high school combined to be equivalent to five one-credit courses. Calculating equivalency of credits in the post-secondary institution is conducted in the same manner as in the high school, based on the Carnegie unit. College courses for which five semester hours (7½ quarter hours) of credit are earned shall be awarded one Carnegie unit. Fractional Carnegie units will be awarded proportionately. Examples of post-secondary options:
Example 1: 1st Nine-Week Grading Period
Subject School Credit & Duration Credit Equivalency (Must Equal 5 Units or Equivalent)
History High 1 (year course) 1 X 1 = 1
Literature PEOP 3 quarter hours .4 x 3 =1.2
Calculus PEOP 5 quarter hours .67 x 3 = 2.01
Biology PEOP 3 quarter hours .4 x 3 = 1.2
Total Credits 5.41 = eligible for 2nd grading period provided all courses passed
The factor of 3 is used for post-secondary institutions that are on the quarter system.
**UNIOTO HIGH SCHOOL REQUIRES A 1.50 GPA.